Festival Syllabus and Registration
- Read the Syllabus in its entirety.
- Complete the ONLINE registration form below using one form per group.
3. Mail a cheque payable to “The Ontario Vocal Festival” covering all entry fees to:
203-195 Lake Driveway West
Ajax, ON L1S 7H7
Please ensure your contact person and school name is written on your cheque!
Entry fees for 2019
BEFORE December 7, 2018 - $300.00 per group
AFTER December 7, 2018 - $350.00 per group
Registration will not be finalized until payment is received.
Performance & General Information
1) Upon arrival at the festival, 2 copies of performance selections must be provided for the evaluators. The use of photocopies is forbidden. Photocopies of permanently out of print material must be accompanied by a letter of permission from the publisher (or legal copyright owner). Host schools will not be allowed to loan original copies of music! The OVF reserves the right to deny an evaluation and/or invitation to any ensemble that does not comply.
2) The accompanying persons up to a maximum of 8 must meet the criteria of the class entered. The keyboard accompanist in chamber ensemble and concert choir categories need not conform to provision.
3) Warm-up rooms will be available 20 to 30 minutes prior to performance.
4) Performance time is limited to 20 minutes including set-up, sound check (jazz choirs), and performance.
5) Each performing group will receive a 30-minute clinic.
6) Evaluations will include considerations of stylistic interpretation, intonation, dynamics, attacks, releases, diction, blend, balance, presentation and repertoire selection.
7) Groups performing in the Concert/Chamber, Vocal Jazz Ensemble or Vocal Jazz Combo classes will perform 3 contrasting selections. Groups performing in the Combination class will perform 2 traditional choral pieces and 2 jazz/contemporary pieces.
8) Groups in all classes should aim for a varied program. Quality repertoire is highly regarded at this festival. A cappella singing, although not required, is encouraged in all classes. If uncertain about appropriate repertoire, please contact the Festival Co-ordinator. Repertoire lists from past festivals are available on the OVF website (http://www.ontariovocalfestival.com/repertoire-lists). For Vocal Jazz and Contemporary groups, all contemporary styles of music are encouraged including Glee style, pop, rock, r&b, swing, latin, funk, fusion, bebop and blues.
9) For Vocal Jazz, the sound system shall include three (3) rows of six (6) mics for the ensemble and up to two (2) solo mics. Microphones and/or microphone stands may not be moved out of the assigned row or out of order within a given row, with the following exception: in the Vocal Jazz Combo class, up to three (3) mics from the centre row may be moved to the front row to accommodate the 9-voice combo.
10) For Vocal Jazz, a group's sound technician (one only) may work in conjunction with the festival Technical Director during their performance.
11) For vocal jazz, substitution or augmentation of equipment will not be permitted. Acoustic piano, electric piano, bass amplifier, guitar amplifier and a complete drum set will be supplied. Additional keyboards may be used. NO EQUIPMENT may be substituted except for the drummer's cymbals, bass pedal and snare drum.
12) The Ontario Vocal Festival is proud to be a qualifying regional festival of MusicFest Canada. At the discretion of the OVF, in consultation with the clinicians, groups may be invited to participate in MusicFest Canada.
13) The Ontario Vocal Festival cannot issue refunds to groups that are unable to attend a festival due to inclement weather.
14) Due to fixed festival costs, refunds will not be issued after January 12, 2019.